1890’s
now browsing by category
Fairs & Markets of New Ross c. 1900
Danny Dowling interviewed Nicholas Forristal, of the Mill, Graiguenakill, Glenmore several times in 1964. Today, we are going to feature Danny’s interview of Friday the 13th of March of that year where Nicky provided information about the New Ross fairs and markets of his youth. “Nicky the Miller” was born on 1 February 1888 and was blessed in that his father, Patrick Forristal (c. 1849-1931) and grandfather lived long lives and shared their knowledge of events and the area with Nicky. Where possible the actual words recorded by Danny of Nicky during the interview are used and marked by quotation marks.
For anyone not familiar with the Parish of Glenmore, Kilkenny lies half way between the City of Waterford, Co. Waterford and the Town of New Ross, Co. Wexford. Until the twentieth century the only market town in Kilkenny close to Glenmore was Thomastown which was further away than both New Ross and Waterford. For information and maps regarding the early main road between New Ross and Waterford see the previous blog post of 14 December 2019. Prior to the earliest bridges being built at New Ross and Waterford people from Kilkenny had to make use of ferries to take their produce to New Ross and Waterford. After bridges spanned the River Barrow at Ross and the River Suir at Waterford tolls were a cost for our Glenmore ancestors when they sought to purchase or sell items in Waterford or New Ross or sought employment in the city or town.
Ancient Fairs and Markets of New Ross
Although the words fairs and markets have come to mean the same thing at one time they were considered distinct occurrences. Generally speaking, market days were set days when sellers and buyers gathered for the buying and selling of a specific commodity e.g. butter, corn etc. The prices agreed in the haggle between the buyers and sellers became the market price. Fairs originally did not occur on a regular basis and were often associated with religious days, where there might be entertainment and a variety of trading e.g. horse and employment fairs. Fairs and markets were vital to the economy of towns and cities and residents relied on food from the countryside. New Ross was no different and several of the early New Ross Corporation books survive and reflect the importance attached to the fairs and markets. The County Wexford Archive has placed some of the surviving books on line with transcriptions.
A fragment from the New Ross Corporation Minute Books for 1634-5 is held in Carlow library. It provides an interesting glimpse into the turbulent 17th century in Ireland. “Most of the entries…concern day-to-day life—keeping the streets clean, securing the water supply, renting out property, protecting the markets and keeping citizens safe.” Control of hucksters at markets was a great concern. (Gráinne Doran & Linda Doran (2020) “A Light on Early Town Governance in New Ross,” 28(1) History Ireland 8-9.) On 17 October 1662 “the toll and customes of the markets and faires of Ross sett and let unto Mr. Barnard White for the ensueing yeare for twenty pound sterling” (New Ross Corporation Minute Book, 1658-1685, vol. 1). In other words, Barnard White for the huge sum in 1662 of £20 became essentially the landlord of the New Ross markets and fairs for a year, and he could set and charge the people engaged in markets and fairs.
Some very ancient customs surround fairs such as the symbol of the glove. In 1710 an order was made in New Ross that no arrests would be made before and after the fair held on the 10th of August. This was not an attempt to encourage or allow criminals to engage in trade. At that time if a person was unable to pay his or her debts that person could be sent to debtor’s prison. Thus, to ensure the success of fairs a sort of safe passage developed. An entry on the 6th of October 1726 ordered that a glove be set up two days before each “faire” day and remain up for two days after the “faire.” The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland (30 June 1901, p. 179) in reviewing the entries published extracts of two publications explaining the glove symbol.
“An annual fair is held on Trinity Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at Southhampton. It is opened by the Mayor and bailiffs with much ceremony on the proceeding Saturday afternoon. The Mayor erects a pole with a large glove fixed to the top of it, near the miller’s house, and the bailiff then takes possession of the fair as chief magistrate in its precinct during the fair, and invites the Mayor and his suite to a collation in his tent…during the fair no person can be arrested for debt within its precincts. On Wednesday at noon the Mayor dissolves the fair by taking down the pole and glove, or rather ordering that it be taken down” (Sir H. Englefield (1805) Wald Through Southhampton, p. 75). At Exeter a similar custom prevailed:–The charter for Exeter Lammas Fair [Aug. 1] is perpetuated by a glove of immense size, stuffed and carried through the city …It is afterwards placed on the top of the Guild hall and then the fair commences (Hone, Every Day Book, ii, 1059).”

As early as 1662, during the reign of Charles II, legislation was enacted that standardised a firkin of butter as weighing 64 pounds comprised of at least 56 pounds of butter and up to 8 pounds for the barrel. Over a century later, the New Ross Corporation books reflect that in 1783 a clerk of the market was appointed at a salary of £10 per year to ensure proper weight and measures were used and to prevent butchers and bakers from committing frauds. As early as 1747 there were complaints that butter and salmon were being sold at the gates and roads leading to New Ross to the detriment of the town’s people and merchants. In an attempt to control and regulate trading a corn market was built in Robert Street in 1818 just twenty years after the 1798 Rebellion. According to Linda Doran the corn market was not altogether successful. Ten years after it was built all tradesmen were required to weigh and sell their corn at the market. In 1832 markets which were deemed street obstructions in New Ross were removed to the corn market. In 1864 a meeting was called to investigate the possibility to free the bridge from tolls (Linda Doran (2011) “Capturing the Quotidian: New Ross Corporation Books,” 1685-1900,” in 19(5) History Ireland 22-25.)
Fairs & Markets of New Ross at the Turn of the 20th Century
Accoring to Nicky “the Miller” Forristal, up until about 1899 New Ross fairs were held on different dates. In about 1899 the second Tuesday of the month was introduced as the fair day of Ross. When he was a boy Nicky recalled fairs being held on Easter Monday, the 10th of February, and on the 3rd of May—the hiring fair. On the hiring fairs the men and women seeking work “used present themselves with a spancil round their wrists so as to indicate their calling. Those spancils were called booracs and búltáins. Used hire for the quarter. The settlement between the parties was made on the fair. The agreement in most cases was adhered to because if not, the labourer was not paid if he left.”
For non-farmers a spancil is a short length of rope used to hobble an animal. The animal could graze but could not wonder off too far. Well into the twentieth century spancils also were used to keep cows from kicking while being milked. It appears that from what Nicky said that different types of spancils were used to indicate the type of work that the prospective employee was able or willing to perform. The employee would work for 3 months before being paid and if the employee left before the end of the 3 months he would not be paid anything. According to Danny Dowling the agreement included wages, room and board and additionally there might be an agreement on the type and amount of ‘grub’ that would be provided to the employee.
“The fat pig market at Ross was always held on the day before the general fair. Small pigs were sold on the general fair. The people used drive the pigs into Ross on a Sunday evening and put them in some of the yards in the Irishtown. Brewer’s, Teehan’s (where Shea’s were) and Campbell’s yards etc. When the pigs were sold they had to be driven to the boat (Ida etc.) early as it left for Waterford at 9 o’clock in the morning. Hence the reason for the very early start of the fairs.”

Nicky recalled that he drove pigs to Kough’s Bacon Factory on the Quay in about 1899. “Good deal of people worked there, men and women. Made sausages, puddings items and every shop in Ross sold offal meats then. Nicky saw cards up in the shops selling meat which read thus ‘Buy Kough’s Bacon well known for its delicious flavour and standard quality.’ ” According to Nicky, Kough’s Bacon Factory went into liquidation long before the first Great War.
Markets were held in Ross every Thursday and Saturday. The spud market was held on the Quay at Fox’s Pub. The weighing scales for the spuds were “opposite beside river.” The butter market ran from “Bridge to Market House.” Salmon sold at Fish House. At Bank of Ireland—vegetables sold. Opposite the Bank of Ireland on the Quay side fresh herrings were sold from dray cars while in season.
The fowl market was held in John and North St. at either side of the Hotel. Asses, jennets and carts full of fowl were lined up. “The man who would buy the lot would chalk his name on the cart. They were then brought to the boat which was moored opposite Foxe’s. Each fowl buyer had a bed on the Quay where the fowl were put after taking them from the carts, before being put on the boat. This market used always start before the break of day. Hardly any men attended it, only women and chaps. Over before 9 o’clock as the fowl had to be on the boat which left at that time. This market was held on a Thursday. This early market finished when the boat ended in 1904.” For information regarding the Ida and the shipping of animals see our previous blog of 29 February 2020.
“The firkin butter market was held in Charles Street. People brought the fresh butter in buckets to the market. It ended about the First War. Glenmore people stopped attending when the creamery started.” Only the larger farmers who kept several cows could produce a firkin or 56 pounds of butter. Before the Glenmore Creamery opened there were not many cows in Glenmore. Prior to the Creamery opening people from the area with butter went mainly to the Waterford Butter Market. People from Tullogher, who were closer to New Ross, used to travel with the firkins of butter on the Ida to Waterford.

Until the 1880’s a lot of wheat was grown in the Glenmore area. “Then the bottom dropped out of the market owing to the imports of foreign wheat. The last wheat Tommy Forristal, of Ballyverneen [Glenmore] ever had, he was forced to bring it to Thomastown by horses and carts. That was in the 1880’s.” “Very few cattle kept by the local people of this area” prior to 1900. Nearly all cattle were sold as yearlings and even younger. Cows were also scarce. “The farmers with the largest cow herds in Glenmore then were Coady’s of Carrigcloney and Tommy Forristal of Ballyverneen with 20 cows each. After introduction of creamery here the farmers increased their herds.” For information concerning the establishment of the Glenmore Creamery see the previous post of 9 May 2020.
At the turn of the twentieth century Nicky recalled the following prices which ‘were got’ at Ross markets:
- “Seed potatoes 3d stone;
- Pig’s heads 2/= for 12 lbs.;
- Danish Pig’s Heads 1 ½ d [per] lb;
- Butter 6d to 8d per lb;
- Barrel of oats 7/6;
- Barrel of barley 13-14/=;
Nicky went on to explain that fowl and turkeys then were never sold by weight. Instead they were sold by the pair. Until about 1894, “people from this area used go to the fowl market of Grannagh. Had to leave the night before… At that time turkey realised by the pair, cocks 18-20/=; hens 8-10/=.”
To illustrate the prices under the Imperial system–which some elderly Glenmore residents today refer to as “old money”– there were pounds £, shillings / and pence d. There were 12 pence in a shilling, and 20 shillings in a pound. Thus, seed potatoes sold for 3 pence per stone (14 pounds) of potatoes. A barrel of oats sold for 7 shillings and 6 pence etc..
In the next couple of weeks we shall highlight some of the other “business” that occurred at and after local fairs as commented upon by Nicky the Miller in 1964 and recorded by Danny Dowling. Please send any errors or corrections to glenmore.history@gmail.com.
Dr. Kathleen Moore Walsh

The photo of the New Ross Corn Market appeared in Linda Doran’s excellent 2011 article “Capturing the Quotidian: New Ross Corporation Books,” 1685-1900,” in 19(5) History Ireland 22-25. The photo of the corn market is from a glass plate belonging to Jimmy Fitzgibbon and was part of the Cavanagh Magic Latern Collection. Prior to cinemas, Magic Laterns were used to entertain people by the showing of projections from early photographic glass plates. William Cavangh had a collection of these early glass plates of the New Ross area. The photo to the right shows Jimmy Fitzgibbon (on left) with his 150 year old Magic Latern. Edward Delany is on the right. (New Ross Standard, 31 August 2015).
The featured photo above is art work from the New Ross Corporation Minute Book, 1658-1687, p. 50. It reads, “Eusebius Cotton, Esquire, Soveraigne of New Ross, Anno D’ni 1662.”
Sabotaging the 1893 Hunt in Glenmore: The Burning of the Fox Coverts
In three previous posts we highlighted some of the local activities of the Glenmore Land League from its establishment in late 1880 through its split in February 1891 over the Parnell scandal. Some of the main agrarian agitation activities undertaken by members included engaging in boycotts and gathering to protest and frustrate evictions. One of the best known successful eviction frustrations occurred at Ballyfacey, Glenmore on the 27th of August 1885. On that date church bells across South Kilkenny rang out calling thousands of people to gather and stop the eviction of Ballyfacey families. Two years later in February 1893 the local people were again called together this time to resist the seizure in the middle of the night of cattle in Ballyfacey. A month later a group of local men and women stopped a fox hunt in Ballyfacey and burned the coverts, to stop future hunts. In general, fox hunting was a pursuit of the landlords and gentry. A covert is anywhere a fox may live. In various areas of Glenmore rough ground with bushes and other cover was protected by the landlords to provide a place for foxes. Generally, hounds were sent into the covert to flush out the fox and the hunt would begin.
Pitchfork Protests at Ballyfacey Glenmore
The Wexford People (Sat. 1 April 1893, p. 8) published an article entitled, “UNIONIST HUNTSMEN ATTACKED WITH PITCHFORKS: THE COVERTS BURNED.” On Tuesday the 26th of March “an exciting scene was witnessed at the hunt at Ballyfacey,” which “has been the scene of many a stubborn fight against the enemies of the people.” “…Men and women of that place were forward in showing their detestation of shoneen Unionism.” Shoneen is a derogatory word in Irish that refers to one who prefers English attitudes, customs or lifestyle to Irish ones.

On that day Sir Nugent Humble’s hounds were advertised to meet at Tory Hill. Sir Nugent Humble was from Waterford County and it is reported that by the 1870’s his estate was comprised of 6,000 acres. Humble also had lands in County Tipperary, but it does not appear that he had any land in or around Ballyfacey.
The Humble hunters met and proceeded to the covert at Ballyfacey, Glenmore. The Munster Express (Sat. 8 April 1893, p. 8) reported that “when the hounds came to the covert a number of men proceeded with pitchforks to stop the hunt. Sir Nugent Humble inquired the cause of the display, and was told the ‘Castle Catholics’ who attended the Orange meeting would not be permitted to pass, but that the other gentlemen might do so.” Notwithstanding the language used by the newspaper in covering the incident there were no injuries n either side.
Local Castle Catholics
The Munster Express did not identify the so-called “Castle Catholics” or Catholics who supported the Crown, however the Wexford People did name them and we have below provided the actual words from the article. “Mr. Bloomfield, …one of the organisers of the recent Unionist meeting in Waterford, and Mr. Nicholas Lambert, the new ‘Catholic Jay-Pay’ from Ballinakill or Dysertmoon.”
The Wexford People article went on to explain that Nicholas Lambert “before he was ‘raised to the bench’ was, like a good many more of his kind in this country, free and easy with the people as long as he thought he could be served by them, but as soon as he was made a J.P. he ‘kicked over the traces’ and became a Unionist going down to Waterford to beat the Orange drum. In his efforts to ape the grandee, however, he has overshot the mark, and on Tuesday be saw that when he was told by the lads and lasses who were stationed on the fence of Ballyfacey covert that it was to him the objection was made.”
“He began to foam, but was soon made cool, and though his conduct might have precipitated a row, yet the sight of the men with pikes in their hands made the hunters retreat, Mr. Lambert among the rest. The dogs were beaten by the girls, and when the hunters were retiring the crowd groaned for Balfour and cheered for Gladstone and Home Rule. Though the scene was at one time exciting no blows were struck. About twenty or thirty men composed the crowd which defended the covert. On the same night the covert of Ballyfacey, another at Mullinahone, in the parish of Glenmore, and a third at Greenlands, on Mr. Fitzgerald’s land at Knockbrock, were burned to ashes. The foxes which they contained ran in all directions.”
Arthur James Balfour (1848-1930)

To put the groans of the protesting crowd into context, Arthur James Balfour (1848-1930) was the chief Secretary for Ireland until 1891. While he suppressed agrarian unrest and demonstrations he did institute a few measures against absentee landlords. Balfour opposed Irish Home Rule and is attributed with saying there could be no “halfway house” between Ireland remaining within the United Kingdom or becoming independent. By 1893 Balfour led the Conservative Party in the House of Commons. In 1902 he succeeded his uncle Lord Salisbury as Prime Minister and served until 1905.
William Gladstone (1809-1898)

The cheers of the protesting crowd were for William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898). Gladstone was a member of the Liberal party and served as prime minister four times. Gladstone was personally committed to the granting of Irish home rule and in 1886 introduced the first 1886 Home Rule Bill for Ireland. Unfortunately, this Bill caused him to lose power. When he became prime minister again in August 1892, he began working on a new home rule bill. The Second Home Rule Bill passed its second reading in the House of Commons in April 1892 and the third reading on 1 September. However, the House of Lords, a week later, killed the Bill when the majority of Lords voted against it.
Although no political group is associated with the article it seems likely that the agrarian agitation activities of the Land League were employed by locals to show displeasure with an apparent Catholic neighbour not supporting Home Rule. The sabotage of the Ballyfacey hunt was reported widely including to Irish exiles in the United States via The Irish Standard (Minneapolis, Minnesota) on Sat. the 29th of April 1893.
**************
Previous blog posts include: “The Glenmore Land League and the Ballyfacey Evictions,” available at https://glenmore-history.com/the-glenmore-land-league-and-the-ballyfacey-evictions/ , and “Glenmore and Mr. Parnell,” available at https://glenmore-history.com/glenmore-and-mr-parnell/ .
The featured photo above is a John Player cigarette card, retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47de-40d9-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99
The second photo is of the artwork of Alken, Henry Thomas (1784-1851), (1817-05-01) Fox hunting. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47dc-3696-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99
The Balfour photo is from Bain News Service, publisher – Library of Congress Catalog: https://lccn.loc.gov/2014682753 and the photo is from the portrait section available at https://lccn.loc.gov/2018697133 .
Dr. Kathleen Moore Walsh
“They Are Too Clever In Glenmore”
Last week we highlighted the case of Mrs. Connolly who was charged and acquitted in 1906 of operating a shebeen from her home in Graiguenakill, Glenmore. Other Glenmore residents were not so lucky when charged. In addition to the cases themselves, the newspaper articles that Danny Dowling researched, concerning Glenmore inhabitants charged with operating or frequenting a “shebeen” provide details regarding life in Glenmore over a hundred years ago.
Bridget Whelan, alias Biddy “the Flies” Whelan
The Waterford Standard of the 21st of August 1880 reported that on the 17th of August two sub-constables were on patrol in Rochestown and while walking toward Ballyhobuck they observed a “suspicious looking woman” driving a donkey and cart. She was observed to make repeated trips to the ditch and communicate with three men who were working in a field. They followed the woman, who was identified as Bridget Whelan, alias Biddy “the Flies” Whelan, of Ballyhobuck. While one of the constables went to Glenmore Village the other remained observing Biddy’s abode referred to as a “hut.” Constable Heffernan, [editor’s note—Heffernan was locally referred to as Micky the Rat] procured the warrant and armed with it they searched Biddy’s house and found 76 porter bottles empties, and tumblers. Undaunted Biddy carried on selling beer and was observed on the 19th of August walking in front of a cart which held a load of grain and a sack on top of the grain. The Glenmore constables followed her into the yard of William Roche, of Scartnamore, where they searched the sack and found 36 large bottles of stout. (Waterford Standard, 25 August 1880).

On the 4th of September 1880 it was reported in the Waterford Standard that Biddy plead guilty to four offences. In total 139 bottles were seized from Biddy. It was reported that she had been shebeening for about five months, but the police stated that it “was next to impossible to catch her” because she hid her stock in fields. At a funeral it was reported that she sold seven dozen bottles of porter. Biddy told the magistrate that she was a poor widow and asked if she could be let off. This was denied and she was fined £2 and costs, or one month’s imprisonment in the first case with the same penalty to apply in the other cases or £8 in all, or in default four month’s imprisonment.
The Second Offence in Weatherstown
In 1893 another Glenmore inhabitant was charged for operating a shebeen in his home in Weatherstown. This was the defendant’s second offence. The Kilkenny Moderator of 12 April 1893 reported that Sergeant John Bergin, RIC Glenmore summoned a feeble old man for an offence under the Shebeening Act and also charged him for having been convicted previously for a similar offence a year earlier on the 9th of January 1892. Surprisingly the name of the defendant is never stated in the article. Sergeant Bergin testified that on the 25th of March 1893 he went to the defendant’s home in Weatherstown Village and found a quarter cask of Strangman’s beer with a keeler under the tap and a quart measuring jug. Present in the house were Luke Roche, of Ballycurran and Maurice Cody, of Ballycroney. A glass of beer was near Maurice Cody’s leg. The defendant plead guilty to the charges and told the magistrate that a friend sent it to him because he was going into hospital. He decided to sell some of the beer to earn a few pennies.
Sergeant Bergin testified that the police received several complaints about this house. The defendant was a shoemaker but had not worked in 14 years. [Editor’s note—the first old age pension did not commence until 1909.] The defendant was described by Sergeant Bergin as being delicate. However, because this was his second offence the Magistrate said he did not have any discretion and imposed a fine of £5 and costs or three months imprisonment. The defendant on hearing the fine exclaimed, “God save us! I will never find it.” Upon hearing the alternative was three months imprisonment he stated, “Begorra if I go to gaol sir, I won’t come out.” The Magistrate informed the defendant that he could “memorialise” the Lord Lieutenant, and he might reduce it. Maurice Cody was fined 5s. and costs for being on the premises drinking.
Mrs. Mary Power and her neighbour William Purcell, of Kilmakevogue
Just two years after Mrs. Connolly, of Graiguenakill, was acquitted of operating a shebeen from her home, Mrs. Mary Power, of Kilmakevogue was charged with the same offence and with the same solicitor attempted to successfully use the same defence. The Magistrate was again Mr. Brehon. The newspaper article covering the trial may be found in the Wexford People (19 Feb. 1908) as well as the New Ross Standard (21 Feb. 1908). It was noted during Mrs. Power’s trial that “the clergy of Glenmore were denouncing these shebeens Sunday after Sunday off the altar,” however the police were getting very little assistance from the people.
Sergeant Power, of the Glenmore RIC testified that on Saturday the 8th of February with a warrant he went to search Mrs. Mary Power’s house in Kilmakevogue. When he arrived he watched the house for some time and observed the defendant and another woman in the lane next to the house. It appeared that the other woman was drunk. When he served the warrant he found Mrs. Power in the house with her son, John Barry along with James Gaul, of Carrigcloney; Edward Hogan, of Carrigcloney, and John Power, of Robinstown.

While Sergeant Power was asking Mrs. Power how much drink she had in the house the man who lived in the same building, William Purcell came into Mrs. Power’s house. Although William Purcell was told not to leave he left. The Sergeant followed him and found him rattling bottles under an old bed. A search of Mrs. Power’s house only revealed six bottles of stout. She said that they were all for her son John Barry who called each night. When she was told that she was being charged she began to “roar and bawl and said, ‘I will not go to the court. Forgive me this time, and I will never bring a bottle into the house again.’” She said the men came to her house to get shaved.
During the trial Sergeant Power stated that he had been watching the house on ten occasions and on the 21st of January, a young woman named McDonald went to the door and asked the defendant if all the porter was gone. When this occurred Sergeant Power could see four or five men in the house talking loudly. He did not have a warrant, so he continued to observe. Eventually James Gaul, of Carrigcloney and another man he did not know left the house and when they passed his hiding place he stated that they had been drinking.
Solicitor Langrishe again queried if six bottles of stout is a proper stock for a shebeen. However, this time when it was mentioned that the stock was being delivered by a bread van Sergeant Power pointed out that the van belonged to Breen’s of Waterford who also had a public house. When asked why the police did not have any evidence such as glasses the officer that accompanied Sergeant Power exclaimed, “They are too clever in Glenmore.” Apparently if the officer is to be believed evidence was hidden or removed while the two officers were present.
During the testimony of Mrs. Power’s son, John Barry, it was revealed that he worked as a labourer for Mr. Barron and lived at his place of work. He earned 5s. per week and he gave his wages to his mother for the upkeep of herself and his brother. With his wages she purchased beer for him. He visited her home every evening. He said that while Mr. Barron provided food and shelter he did not provide “refreshments.” When it was pointed out that his wages wouldn’t cover his mother, brother and the beer purchased he replied that his mother’s husband was away in England working and sent her money also.
Edward Hogan, testified that he was a labourer working for Mr. Cody. He often rambled up to Mrs. Power’s house with John Barry and had never been given drink at Mrs. Power’s house. John Power, of Robinstown testified that he habitually purchased a cask of beer in Ross and had no need to visit a shebeen. He was present on the 8th of February to cut John Barry’s hair. James Gaul it was reported worked for the Widow Cody. During cross examination he stated that he was not present at Mrs. Power’s on the 21st of January when he was present. The Chairman expressed anger and stated that Gaul’s testimony should be brought to the attention of the authorities for a perjury charge.
Mrs. Power was found guilty and fined £2 and costs of 3s. Alternatively two months imprisonment with hard labour.
The second defendant was William Purcell, who was described as a very old man. A review of the 1901 Census reveals that William Purcell was 60 in 1901 or 67 in 1908. He too was prosecuted for shebeening. Mr. Langrish defended. Sergeant Power stated that on the night he was searching Mrs. Murphy’s (sic) house he had a warrant for Mr. Purcell’s house and found eight large full bottles of stout under an old bed. Mr. Purcell tried to cover them with an old sack. In the article the houses are said to be in the same building. Sergeant Power asked Purcell to account for the stout, and Purcell said he had them to take to warm him going to bed at night.
Mr. Langrishe said the old man’s statement to him was that his granddaughter paid for the stout to have them for his son-in-law, who was coming on a visit from Kilmoganny. Sergeant Power said he believed the case was part parcel of the other, and that Purcell was keeping the stout for Mrs. Murphy.(sic) If Purcell had the stout for legal purposes, why hide it? Purcell had no previous conviction. Mr. Langrishe pleaded that Purcell was a very poor man, and on outdoor relief. The Chairman said they would take a lenient view of this case, as they believed it was part and parcel of the other case, and that the porter was sold at Murphy’s house. Mr. Purcell was fined £1 and 3s. costs. Defendant denied that he sold a bottle of stout in his life.
Lastly, John Power, of Robinstown, Edward Hogan, of Carrigcloney, and James Gaul, of Carrigcloney were all convicted for being on shebeen premises. Power and Gaul were each fined the full penalty of 40s. each or 1 month’s imprisonment with hard labour and Edward Hogan was fined 10s, 6d or fourteen days imprisonment.
[Note added 5 April 2020: Both newspapers referred to Mrs. Murphy in the prosecution of Purcell rather than Mrs. Power. Believing that this error may have been caused by another case, a newspaper search for a Glenmore resident named Murphy charged with shebeening revealed an article in the New Ross Standard of 25 August 1905. Patrick Murphy, of Kilmakevoge, Glenmore was a labouer and tradesman and was charged with shebeening when 9 bottles were found in his home. The case was dismissed when it was revealed that he worked in Ferrybank, earned 18s. per week, only his wife and 9 year old son were in the house when the warrant was served and he could afford the drink found in his home.]
Dr. Kathleen Moore Walsh
Glenmore Land League Splits
In the previous post we highlighted the first article that appeared in the Wexford People on the 7th of February 1891. After the meeting called by Father Dunphy concluded, a second meeting took place and the excerpts from the newspaper article below details the political division within the parish. Subsequently, for quite some time, the newspapers covered the meetings of the two Glenmore Nationalist Land League groups that emerged from the 7th of February meetings. One group was led by the parish priest and supported McCarthy and the other group continued to support Parnell. The names of 42 attendees at the pro-Parnell second meeting, their respective townlands and professions are listed in the article.
“On Sunday last a meeting of the Glenmore Branch of the Irish National League was to have been held in the League rooms, Glenmore. When the hour of meeting arrived a large concourse of the members from all parts of the parish were present in and around the place of meeting. The Rev. James Dunphy, Adm., took the chair at three o’clock. The room in which the meeting was held was filled, as was also the other portions of the house, while many members were compelled to remain outside for want of room inside. Father Brennan, C.C., Glenmore, was amongst those present. Several members of the old committee, who were supporters of Mr. Parnell, were absent, who were not noticed by the priests to attend.
It is well that the public should fully understand the circumstances connected with the present dispute in Glenmore, and in order that they may do so, it is desirable that the view of those who hold Parnellite ideas should be made public. About a month ago Father Dunphy stated that he would never attend the League room again unless some members of the committee (who gave a report of a meeting to the reporter of the New Ross Standard) signed a document for him stating that what they told the reporter were lies, and apologise to him (the priest) for doing to. This they refused to do, because what they told him was that at a meeting called by Father Dunphy of the Nationalists of the parish the people refused to a resolution of “no confidence” in Mr. Parnell ‘they would not go back of what they told the reporter, and they could not, if they were inclined to do so, after what took place to-day.‘
For some days before this meeting a canvass of the parish was made by the priests, and persons were noticed to attend who were known to have anti-Parnellite feelings, while, even so, with this canvass the vast majority of the people are in favour of Mr. Parnell, as will be shown by to-day’s proceedings.
When the chair was taken it was mentioned that the first business of the meeting was to re-organise the branch, which had been in a disorganised state since last November. It was mentioned that the committee was no longer a committee, and that the officers were no longer officers until the committee and officers were elected constitutionally by ballot. Father Dunphy and the M’Carthyite section of the committee objected to this, and said that the business would be proceeded with, and he then requested Mr. William Forrestal, P.L.G., and others, who were not members of the committee, to retire from the League room, as he said no one but the committee should interfere, in the business to be transacted.
Mr. Forrestal then said that if he retired, Father Brennan, who was never a member of the League at all, not to speak of the committee, should also retire. Mr. Forrestal said he could not have confidence in Father Brennan, because he got the money for the Tenant’s Defence Fund collected in the parish, and instead of sending it where the committee and he agreed to–viz to the joint treasurers, Dr. Kenny and Mr. Webb —he gave it to Father Dunphy, who kept it in his hands alone, and had not even yet sent it on to the proper quarter.
After some pressure from the Parnellites, Mr. Forrestal and others withdrew. A resolution was then proposed by Father Brennan (although he was not a member of the League at all), of “No confidence” in Mr. Parnell. The Nationalists outside groaned on hearing the portion of the resolution which had reference to Mr. Parnell. The excitement and noise increased, the people pushed their way into the League-room, cheering for Mr. Parnell and “the hillside men.” Father Dunphy, Father Brennon., and the following men left the room —Wm. Irish, James Dunne, James Irish, Edmund Haberlin, Wm. Hartley, Walter Grant, John Fitzgerald, and Patrick Kehoe. While these men, with two priests, were leaving there were cheers for Parnell and cries of ” Free election by ballot,” and “We’ll hunt the M’Carthyites,” “Down with Pope Hennessy and his backers,” were given also.

(c) L.C. Dillon 1881
When the priests and the seven or eight M’Carthyites (the full strength of their backers) left, the Parnellites proceeded to hold a meeting, to which all members of the committee present and ordinary members of the branch were invited. Mr. John Hanrahan was called to the chair, which he took amid the cheers of the crowd, which were heard at the police barracks, and it brought down a couple of policemen.
There were more than 100 members of the branch present, amongst whom were the following :—Mesers. Wm. Forrestal, P.L.C.; James Reddy (farmer), Kilbride; Patrick Irish (farmer), Carrigcloney; Patrick Forrestal, Graiguenakill (farmer and miller); Thomas Forrestal, Ballyverneen (farmer); Thomas Aylward , (farmer), Ballinclair ; Micheal Murphy (farmer), Ballinlammy; Richard Mullins (farmer), Gaulstown ; Laurence Mullins (farmer), Gaulstown ; Martin Kennedy (farmer), Ballinclair ; James Mulally (farmer), Davidstown ; Patrick Raftice (farmer), Davidstown ; Patrick Whelan (farmer), Ballinrow; John Verriker (farmer), Davidstown ; Richard Whelan (farmer), Mullinahone ; Patrick McDonald (farmer), Ballinlammy ; Thomas Roche, Coolnaleen (farmer) ; Martin Murphy (farmer), Ballinlammy; John Doherty (farmer), Ballinlammy; Thomas Power, Glenmore (tradesman) ; David Walsh, Graiguenakill (tradesman), Philip Malone, Glenmore (tradesman) ; John Power, Carrigcloney (tradesman); Walter Ryan (tradesman and farmer), Cappagh; John Grace, Forrestalstown (farmer); John Raftice (cattle-dealer), Davidstown ; Thomas Roche, Coolnaleen (farmer) ; Patrick Byrne (laborer), Ballinclair ; Patrick Doherty (labourer), Busherstown ; Thos. Forrestal (farmer and fisherman) Ballyverneen; Thom. Murphy (labourer), Ballyverneen ; John Fleming (labourer), do. ; James Grant, do ; Richard Breen, do. Glenmore; Wm. Young, do, Ballyverneen ; James Walsh, do ; Thomas Haberlin (fisherman), Forrestalstown; Wm. Kirwan (fisherman), Ballyhobuck; Patr. Murphy, Newtown (labourer); William Purcell, do.; Thomas Foran, Mullinahone (laborer). Owing to the crush and excitement it was impossible to get even half the names of those present, and the secretaries beg to offer an apology to any of the Nationalists who were present, and who are not in the above list.
The Chairman briefly addressed the meeting, …the M’Carthyites failed to smash up [the Branch], by refusing to acknowledge the branch on the old lines and under the guidance of the Central Branch of O’Connell-street (hear, hear). Mr. Wm. Forrestal then addressed the meeting, and said that the M’Carthyites had left the League room, and the small following they had showed the way the Nationalists of Glenmore stand with regard to the leadership of Mr. Parnell. He desired to state that he would not be a member of any branch which would not be duly organised and constituted under the rules which always guided the branches of the National League throughout the country. The M’Carthyites , to-day ware afraid to face the election by ballot, because they knew that if they did the Nationalists of Glenmore would not leave a man of them on the committee (hear, bear). Instead of doing that they ordered the members of the branch out, and with a few of their own followers, like a packed jury, they condemned Mr. Parnell. But the Nationalists would blot out that stain, twenty to one (applause), and he defied the few followers of poor old Justin M’Carthy in the parish to go to the ballot-box and they’d see what the members of the League would do. Outside the M’Carthyites, who are on the committee, the people who are opposed to Mr. Parnell in this parish are the people who were always “opposed to him,”… But the cause of the Parnellites was the old cause, their leader was the old leader—the leader of 100 battles (cheers), and not an old fogie after tea-parties like McCarthy, a man who, in the novels he wrote for the English people, sneered at the Fenians of Ireland and the hillside men, because he knew it would please the Saxons who were buying his books (groans).

(National Library of Ireland)
Mr. Patrick Irish proposed the following resolution” That at this meeting of the representatives of the Nationalists of Glenmore we hereby declare our unabated confidence in Charles Stewart Parnell, as the incomparable and incorruptible loader of the Irish Parliamentary Party and of the Irish race all over the world, and we further proclaim it to be our earnest and unalterable conviction that now more than ever the manhood of Ireland are bound by a patriotic duty to stand unswervingly by the principle of independent action in things political, and should not submit to any dictation, no matter from what source proceeding. That we hereby pledge ourselves to support and assist any movement for the relief of the wounded soldiers in the battle against landlordism, viz.—the evicted tenants of Ireland. That we call upon all Nationalists of this pariah to enrol their names as members of this branch of the Irish Nationalist League.” Mr. Reddy seconded this, which was passed unanimously, with loud mad prolonged cheers for Mr. Parnell. …
It was ordered that reports of this meeting be sent to The New Ross Standard, United Ireland, and the Freeman’s Journal. Messr. Patrick Irish and William Forrestal ware appointed secretaries pro tem to this meeting. The next meeting of this branch will be held at 3 o’clock on the first Sunday in March, with the election of a committee will be proceeded with, and steps taken to work the branch as usual. The meeting dispersed with cheers for Parnell.
[Editorial note: Danny Dowling on 7 March 2020 explained that the League met in his house. At the time John Hanrahan occupied the house. Danny’s great-aunt Mary Hanrahan née Murphy left the house and fields to Danny’s mother Hannah Dowling née Murphy. Danny was born in his present house, and the family moved to Jamestown when he was “a chap.”]
Dr. Kathleen Moore Walsh
Took to the Road Around Glenmore
In 1955 Danny Dowling recorded a list of men and women who “took to the road” and regularly visited the Glenmore area in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These usually homeless people were often referred to as tramps or beggars. In the days before social welfare, they travelled from place to place stopping and staying, and perhaps doing odd jobs, for a day or two in exchange for food and a place to sleep. They were usually accomodated in an outbuilding, stable loft or boiler house. Some of the names recorded by Danny include: Mick the Sweep; Corduroy Hat (Pat O’Hara); and Jack the Barrow (who travelled with a wheelbarrow).
Danny obtained details concerning some of these men and women when he interviewed Nicholas Forristal of the Mill, Graiguenakill, on 17 November 1974. Nicky Forristal was born in Glenmore on 1 February 1888. He worked at his family mill in Graiguenakill which was near the main road. He was well placed to speak to and observe people travelling to and around Glenmore.
Dicky “The Stallion” Walsh
Dicky the Stallion was a harmless man. His name was Dick Walsh, and was so called Dicky the Stallion from the fact that his father kept a stallion horse. Paddy the Stallion was his brother. Paddy the Stallion was also a harmless man but not as much so as Dicky. Dicky and Paddy were natives of around Bigwood, Mullinavat area. Their father had a farm, got broke and lost it.
Dicky the Stallion, after his father lost the farm, stayed at the Mill in Graiguenakill, where he got lodging. Dicky also used to stay at Johnnie Ennetts of Cappagh, sometimes. On one occasion he was in Ennetts in the barn, one morning after staying the night when Johnnie asked him, “is he gone yet?” Dickie replied, “I’ll be gone soon sir.” After some time Johnnie called again and said “You’re not gone yet,” to which Dickie replied “Sure I must stand on Ireland’s proud anyway boy—as I have nowhere to go.” Dicky and Paddy Walsh were going around until about 1900. Nicky described them as low size blocks of men with cropped beards. Nicky stated that they had plenty of talk but never spoke ill of anybody.
Paddy “Go Easy” Gorman
Paddy Gorman, known as Paddy Go Easy was a native of New Ross. Paddy Go Easy came out about once a fortnight to the Glenmore area. He always called to the mill. Nicky Forristal noted that “he was in it about 70 to 80 years ago.” Nicky described Paddy Go Easy as a big tall man who walked fast and was clean shaven. He carried a big long stick like a pike handle and wore a wide Jerry Hat. Paddy Go Easy didn’t talk much.

Paddy Pencil
Paddy Pencil, was from the Rower where his father had a farm. Paddy Pencil was in it before Nicky Forristal’s time. Paddy came to Ross to work and got fond of the drink. He remained on in Ross. He was not a travelling man, only hung about the town getting an odd job holding horses and carrying parcels all for a few pence to buy drink.
When Paddy’s father died he left the farm to Paddy’s brother. The brother then gave Paddy the father’s clothes to wear for his soul. Paddy returned from Ross one night shortly afterwards wearing his father’s clothes. He went into the yard and stood in the middle of it and called his brother—imitating his father’s voice.
Paddy’s brother came to the window and thinking it was his father calling from the dead, and he asked his father, “What trouble are you in?” Paddy replied—still imitating his father, “Give the money of the two stacks of wheat in Haggard to Paddy in Ross.” Paddy’s poor brother thought he’d never have the stacks of wheat threshed soon enough in order to give the money to Paddy. He thought this necessary so his father’s soul would rest. When Paddy’s brother had the wheat threshed and sold he immediately gave the money to Paddy. Paddy had a great time drinking for about 3 weeks.
Jack the Ink
Jack the Ink moved around Glenmore before Nicky Forristal’s time. Peggy Gaffney, who had the little shop in Glenmore, told Nicky that Jack the Ink called to her shop. On one occasion Jack bought and ate 12 penny buns in the shop. Jack used to talk to himself and lodged here and there around Glenmore. Jack was regarded as clever. “As clever as Jack the Ink,” the people used say. He made straw hats for 1 ½ d. each.
John “Tail of the Comet” Dalton
John Dalton was known as Tail of the Comet and was from “up Co. Kilkenny.” A big tall man about 6 feet tall. John had a bit of a meegle (goatee). John Dalton “used be after the wedding cee caws in Glenmore.” (This was a custom after a wedding where coins were thrown into the air.) John Dalton carried a switch and used to belt the women on the knuckles in the scramble. He was a clever old daw and was in circulation until the 1930’s. He was about 70 years of age then. Paddy Forristal, Nicky’s son, saw him calling to Glenmore School, when Paddy was a pupil. John used to lift the latch and open the door and put in his head and say “How you Mister Beevins?” He called Mr. Bevans, the headmaster, Mr. Beevins. John always got a couple of pence from Mr. Bevans. After getting the money John would say, “Happy harvest to you now sir” and remove his hat. John also called to the priests, and was reasonably well dressed.
Gentle Annie
Gentle Annie was going when Nicky Forristal was a young man, and he remembered her as “The Lady All Round.” She appeared to be old then and she was called Nurse Whelan. She lived and died at Nelly Grawsheens, where Hanrahan’s shop is now, in Robinstown, Glenmore. She was a big, tall, old woman when Nicky Forristal knew her. It appeared she was a nurse in a hospital in her time. After her death, the union hearse came from Waterford and took her away. Nicky Forristal was going to school when she died about 74 years ago. They had a great night at her wake even though there was no drink. Nicky Forristal related that they “had a bonfire inside, they tore the boards down off the loft and burned” them. All the local boys were there and there was a dance as well. That same night they nearly roasted Mick Breen of Graiguenakill, and Nicky noted that Breen’s real name was Butler.
Others
Other persons Nicky Forristal recalled in 1974 were: Foxy Ned Grace (a Crimea War Pensioner); Blind Woman (who was dead over 70 years); George Lackey (who had been in India) and Jim Arse who “was in it” about 80 years ago, and worked with Tom Nolan at the Redhouse in Shanbogh.
Biddy the Pipes was an old woman when Nicky Forristal was a chap. She used have about three pipes on her for smoking. She used to regularly call to the mill for a bit to eat.
Billy and Jane Fleming lived in a lime kiln in Graiguenakill. Billy and Jane used to pick furze seed in order to get a bit to eat. Billy once carried 4 stones of furze seed to Kilkenny and back to Waterford on his back. Billy used to say, “Shut the door and let me in.” He died before 1890.
Jack the Bird McGrath was a cattle drover. In the Glenmore area he stopped in Whelan’s Bog, Shanbough; Grants, Ballyvarring and Mullin’s of Flemingstown. In 1974, Nicky Forristal noted he was dead about 50 years or more.
Bolliky Bill’s real name was Bill Coffey. Nicky Forristal when interviewed stated that “he was one of the last tramps to roam this area,” and was in it up to about 20 years ago. He was usually dressed in rags, almost in his skin. Bill had a kind of English accent, but never spoke very much.
First Burial in St. James
It is believed that the first person to be buried in the cemetery attached to St. James, the present Glenmore church, was a woman named Reilly who took to the roads and travelled around the Glenmore area. She was stopped at Dunphy’s in Ballyverneen, Glenmore when she died. This information was provided to Danny Dowling by the late Luke Gaule of Slieveconagh, Rosbercon, who heard it from Michael Gaule of Killespy, Slieverue and late of Jamestown, Glenmore. The present churchyard opened in 1805 eight years before St. James was built in 1813.
The feature black and white photo was taken of a Rathinure local in 2019 on the Kilcolumb Church Lane. The other photo is courtesy of the digital collection of the New York Public Library. The Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Division of Art, Prints and Photographs: Photography Collection, The New York Public Library. “”Bum blockade.” The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1936. https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/4adae4b0-73d3-0136-0397-1ba7cc681344
Dr. Kathleen Moore Walsh




